Monday, March 9, 2009

farthingIts time once again for the PCAGOE (Polymer clay artists guild of etsy) featured artist of the week. This week I have chosen to feature SCDiva. She has an Etsy shop here and a blog here. Her jewelry pieces are gorgeous. I love how she showcases her polymer work using gemstones that truly compliment the polymer piece.

How long have you been "playing with clay"?
I hoarded packages of clay for several months before I actually worked up enough nerve to take the wrappers off and start creating in December of 2007.

Where do you find inspiration?
I find inspiration everywhere, but I study architecture, other art mediums and artists' work, and nature. The gemstones I use have amazing textures and depth of color, turquoise, jade, jaspers and agates. Natural colors and textures, especially those found in the Southwest USA, are very inspirational. I love tertiary colors and jewel tones: Turquoise, pumpkin, mustard, tomato red, indigo, aubergine, etc., but the Gemini in me also loves black and white, especially with red. I am also a huge fan of artists Georgia O'Keefe, Frida Kahlo, Frank Lloyd Wright, Dorothea Lange, Frederick Remington, James Harrill; and South Carolina artists Jonathan Green and Philip Simmons, to name a few. Other polymer clay artists inspire me too, several of whom I am lucky enough to have as fellow PCAGOE members.

Where do you create?
Well, I keep a sketch pad with me always. I have a terrible memory and have to get an idea on paper before I forget it. I create the actual designs in my studio, a renovated guest bedroom in my house. I like that it is located away from the main living area, so when guests come, I can shut the door if I don't want them nosying around. Too many people in and out messes with my creative vibe. Plus, I really get annoyed when people, even if they mean well, make suggestions about things I could do.

What is the item that you have created that you love the most?
I haven't made it yet! Seriously, I am never completely happy with anything, and I have a bad habit of wanting to fix what isn't broken, it's my OCD coming out. I work with very small batches of clay at a time. I don't duplicate any two pieces. It's one of my selling points, the uniqueness of my designs. Every batch usually yields one piece I think I'd like to keep for myself, but I don't really have a particular favorite.

Here are a couple of SCDiva's amazing pieces:





Thanks so much SCDiva for letting me feature your stunning work here on my blog!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much, Tina! What an honor. I love your blog!