Thursday, December 17, 2009

Fond Memories of Christmas

Christmas is such a magical and memorable time of the year.

Now that I have my own children, I like to look back and remember Christmases past and see that sparkle in their eyes that I know I also had as a child.

The Christmas season started with us on December 1st. This was when we were allowed to "officially" decorate the house....but not the tree. We always had a real tree and it was set up closer to the 15th or 20th. Our house was a two story older farmhouse. I got to decorate the upstairs where our bedrooms were. Mom gave me the go-ahead and I could decorate it however I wanted. Looking back on it now, I fondly remember hanging the garlands and Christmas cards and ornaments all of us kids made at school.

Then was the school Christmas concert which all grades always had a part. I was always so proud to dress up in my best clothes and to have my parents watch as we performed. If we were really lucky, Grandma and Grandpa would travel out to watch too....that made it even more special.

The last day of school before holidays meant parties and treats both at school and on the school bus. I am sure the busdriver could feel all the excitement we had over vacation time and I am sure she needed that little break too....lol!

School holidays would begin and we would finish up all our Christmas baking. I was the oldest and only girl then (my little sisters came when I was a teenager) so I enjoyed that time with my mother. I guess that is why now I enjoy baking and being in the kitchen. My brothers did not care for that at all and they spent the holidays outside playing in the snow.

We celebrated with our family on Christmas Eve. This would mean a lovely supper usually of ham and perogies maybe even cabbage rolls if we were lucky. We would sing carols around the tree and open our presents from Mom and Dad. We would enjoy games and cards until we had to go to bed to be ready for Santa. We wrote a little note to Santa and gave him some milk and a cookie. But also put out a carrot for Rudolph. We didn't want him to go hungry either and he could share it with the other reindeer if he wanted.

We would go to bed that night dreaming of the fun we would have on Christmas morning.

Christmas day was spent at home for a while with my family and then off in the car to Grandma's house. There would be more perogies and turkey, cabbage rolls and all sorts of goodies. By the end of Christmas day, we were all tired, happy and full from a lovely meal. We all slept in the car on the way home.

These are memories I will treasure forever. Please feel free to share some of your memories here too....I would love to read them!

Happy Holidays!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Perogies and cabbage rolls were always favorites in our holiday meals too. mmm. Thanks for sharing!

Unknown said...

Tina, your "Christmas Memories" blog made me smile many times as I read it. Wonderfully written! Being Polish, I fondly remember my Babcha(Grandma) and Perogies & Cabbage Rolls she made that were extra special for the holidays. Thanks so much for sharing!

BoutiqueKarma said...

my best friend growing up always celebrated Ukrainian Christmas in the month of January. I still salivate thinking of Perogies (or as she called it Petaha - sp?)