Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Lots of zucchini...and Chocolate Zucchini Bundt Cake

Why is it that every year I plant more than I need of zucchini? Maybe its my thinking...what if the plants don't come up or if it freezes shortly after they emerge. Anyways, the result is always way too much zucchini.

I have yet to find oodles of zucchini recipes that I love. I did find this one recipe from FabulousFoods.com for a chocolate zucchini bundt cake. I must say it is very dark and rich and tastes wonderful. It is not really sweet either, which I like. This is definately a keeper! I made a chocolate icing glaze for the top but it would be just fine sprinkled with icing sugar.

Here is the recipe:

3 cups shredded zucchini
3/4 cup cocoa
1 2/3 cup flour
2 cups sugar
1 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
3 eggs (or 3/4 cup egg substitute)
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 tsp. vanilla

Preheat oven to 350 F. Coat a 9" bundt pan with cooking spray and lightly dust with 2 tbsp. cocoa powder. (I just dusted with flour as I was low on cocoa powder)

In a large bowl combine cocoa, flour, sugar, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda and salt.

In a small bowl combine eggs, oil and vanilla.

Add egg mixture to dry ingredients and beat vigourously to combine until well blended. This mixture is VERY STIFF!!

Stir in shredded zucchini until well blended, pour batter into pan and bake for 50 - 55 minutes until cake tester comes out clean. Cool on wire rack for 20 minutes. Remove from pan and cool completely.

Like I mentioned before this is when you sprinkle with icing sugar if preferred or glaze. I glazed with a chocolate glaze.

Here is my chocolate zucchini bundt.


If anyone has any other zucchini recipes they would like to share, please let me know. I am always willing to try out new recipes!




2 comments:

Sara M. said...

mmm looks yummy!

Unknown said...

Oh it looks so moist and yummy! Yes, it's understandable to plant extra zucchini. We always did. But alas, our garden didn't happen this year at our new house. Only a couple of patio plants of tomatoes, etc. But that will have to suffice till next year. We are blessed so to speak with a very rocky yard up north here. Oh if only we were neighbours! Love that zucchini! Will definitely have to try this recipe of yours. Thanks!